Sunday, February 23, 2020

13A – Reading Reflection No. 1

1) You read about an entrepreneur: Steve Jobs
·       What surprised you the most?
o   Everyone says that two things contribute to the way in which we grow into who we are—based on our environment and our genetics. What I found so interesting throughout Jobs’ biography is that while everyone sees his natural-born genius, the environment was a crucial factor that many nowadays tend to overlook. For instance, his biological mother insisting that he find his way to college, even while not completely finishing, brought him exposure to the calligraphy class that changed his life. Further back than even that, growing up in an area where technology was booming post-WWII – both technologically and militarily – gave Jobs the necessary background and interests to make him a pioneer later within one of those fields.
·       What about the entrepreneur did you most admire?
o   From the moment I read that he was inspired by his calligraphy class in regard to the multitude of Apple creations, I was amazed of his foresight into consumer demand. The fact that he understood that the market would crave the aesthetics behind an efficient machine demonstrated intuition that goes beyond skill. Deriving what the consumer wants and needs before we are even aware of it ourselves is the epitome of innovation in my eyes.  
·       What about the entrepreneur did you least admire?
o   A quality I find fairly consistent throughout his life is Jobs’ ability to not only become furiously angry but also turn it into a grudge. Whether this was the case with Apple’s board after having been voted out of the company, over Lisa’s paternity early on, or even his later 2000’s clashes with Google. Although it is human to have these emotions, they impact people on a larger level due to his positions in life. Jobs’ lack of self-awareness of his less admirable qualities creates flaws in what we all look up to as a hero-like figure. 
·       Did the entrepreneur encounter adversity and failure? If so, what did they do about it?
o   Going back to my mention of genetics and environment, I would point to one of Jobs’ greatest adversities being his own adoption. While the specific nature and cause can be argued on various levels, it was a topic that forced him from a young age to grapple with personally. As Jobs got older, we see those same patterns of abandonment occur with Lisa. While Jobs was able to bring Lisa more fully into his life, there can still be a case made that he did not fully overcome that adversity since it shaped him and his responses to specific situations so drastically. 
2) What competencies did you notice that the entrepreneur exhibited? 
            Overarchingly, one of his more pervasive competencies to me was Jobs’ attention to detail in all of his projects. There was never a project that was not fought over with a colleague in some aspect due to a difference in opinion over detailing or aesthetics. Furthermore, one pairing to go with his attention to detail was the conceptual and forward thinking involved in the reasoning behind all his decisions, even when the rest of the world did not. 
3) Identify at least one part of the reading that was confusing to you.
            The entire process of NeXT, from the obscene amount of money and energy spent to the full promotion of the product, was very convoluted. I just was never sure if Steve inadvertently meant to wind up back at Apple due to the new company or it was planned that way accordingly.
4) If you were able to ask two questions to the entrepreneur, what would you ask? Why?
            If I could sit down with him today, I would love to ask Jobs about the transformation of AI since his passing and get his perspective on the area of impact and scope of this technology in the daily lives of consumers. 
            Additionally, with all the new issues with social media and big tech’s imposition on free speech, I am curious to see his reaction and perspective on where we are moving as a society. 
Both of these questions are due to my interest in his perception of the need of the consumer since technology since the launch of the iPhone now moves at a more exponential rate than ever before. 
5) For fun: what do you think the entrepreneur's opinion was of hard work? Do you share that opinion?

            Due to the meticulous nature of Jobs and his outbursts over such details (i.e. The NeXT cube), I would say that his opinion of hard work is closely linked to getting everything right, the first time, and on time. Every detail must pay off to achieve the larger picture and goal. To some extent, I do agree because that is the purpose to having these ideas come to life. On the other hand, I recognize the reality of an ever-shifting industry and the impossibilities that could arise with that opinion.

3 comments:

  1. I like how you dove into Job's character when discussing what was his least admirable traits. I feel like for many geniuses and people that add so much to society in such a profound way, they almost always have personality disorders or something that makes them tick, which is why they are so smart and amazing. He truly reshaped our society, and anyone like that is surely a great entrepreneur to study and learn from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Campbell,

    I agree with how you admire Steve Jobs' foresight into the market and his knowledge of when to act. By being first to the market with devices like the iPod and the iPhone Steve Jobs was able to be far ahead of everyone else in the market. His intuition and knowledge of what customers wanted and would buy was extraordinary and has allowed Apple to soar to its current position today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Campbell,
    I loved how you discussed how Steve Job’s environment was also a critical factor in him becoming the entrepreneur that he was. People always tend to think these types of skills are innate, but the environment we grow up in and are surrounded by also plays a huge role. I also enjoyed how you discussed his environment, more specifically his adoption, and how it turned out to be a weakness for him as well.

    ReplyDelete